Saturday 26 April 2014

Zenith is the limit

If learning an art form is a beautiful journey, then nothing beats learning it from the very exponent of the art. Many people try to discover their talents from a very young age but unless and until somebody gives them a push, they would never realise it. And that push should be given by an able mentor. Only after you realise your potential, can you find out ways to excel in it. Inspiring mentorship is the stepping stone to one’s success.

It is widely known that dance is a magnificent way to alleviate stress and express oneself beautifully. But this is not all there is to it. You would realise the same on reading my journey with dance.
I began learning Kuchipudi in since I was three and have been performing from the age of five. Through this art form, I gained name and fame and finally became a professional dancer. But, to be frank, I never enjoyed what I did. My Mom wanted me to become a dancer but my Dad always gave primary importance to academics. I managed both and having scored exceptionally well in my boards, I secured a seat in India’s No.1 college in the Commerce stream (SRCC) and shifted to Delhi from Hyderabad for further education. I happened to meet Raja, Radha and Kaushalya Reddy here. I joined their classes to put my leisure hours to better use and to make my Mom happy again. Once I started with my classes, I understood that everything I had learnt in the past was juvenile when compared to their style of dancing. I started my dancing lessons all over again and turned a new page in my pursuit of excellence in dance as I had discovered my love for the same.

Raja and Radha Reddy , the doyens of this dance form, received official recognition when they were awarded with the Padma Shree and the Padma Bhushan award of the new millennium (individually but simultaneously).  Raja Reddy (guruji), fascinated by dance in his childhood days, was prohibited by his family from practicing the same. Belonging to the Kshatriya community, it was expected of him to patronise art but not pursue it.  Though he was sent off to Hyderabad for his education, the stint was a blessing in disguise as he gained exposure to the movies. So enamoured was he, that the young Raja would copy Vaijyanti Mala’s moves in Naagin to entertain his friends. To realise his dream he went to a teacher who rejected him outright because of his dark colour. After several attempts, he and his wife (Radha) were accepted by Vedantam Prahlada Sharma and he taught them the basics in Kuchipudi. Raja learnt the masculine form and Radha, the feminine form of Kuchipudi. Raja also underwent a course in Russian choreography under the tutelage of Maya Rao which has lent uniqueness to his choreography. When they considered themselves to be ready enough, they approached the Andhra Association requesting for a chance to showcase their talent but were rejected. Kaushalya takes a trip down the memory lanes, ‘’Akka and Baava wanted to give a performance for the Andhra Association saying  even Rs. 50 would be enough, but they were refused because they were unknown artistes and they couldn’t afford it’’. Tamil Sangham gave them their first breakthrough opportunity and since then, there has been no looking back. Their talent caught the notice of Late Mrs. Indira Gandhi.  Kaushalya recalls, ‘’We didn’t have a house in Delhi and Mrs. Gandhi asked the Housing Minister to allot us a house in Pandara Road.’’ International tours and opportunities swept into their kitty. They were invited to perform in Cuba by Fidel Castro and his letter to Indira Gandhi about the magic they created on the stage, led to them getting honoured by the Padma Shree in 1984.

They never yearned for any material gains. All they ever desired for was a stage and a few eyes to watch them perform.  Performing dance was their dream and the courage to pursue their dream earned not just them, but the very art form, immense international recognition.

Raja is married to Radha and her sister Kaushalya, who is a well-known dancer as well. They have two daughters,  Yamini Reddy and Bhavana Reddy who are trained dancers, the latter also pursuing a singing course in Hollywood.

Raja, Radha and Kaushalya Reddy are the most brilliant exponents of Kuchipudi .  They have truly proved that they are the masters of this art. They made me realise the beauty of dance. The inspiration and motivation which I gained from them was unbelievably exceptional. They are more like parents to their students. They do not entertain any compromises on the part on the students, upholding the value of the art form. Along with dancing, I learnt lessons for life. They have, over time, inculcated in me the right attitude and principles to lead life. The right attitude required to carry myself in front of different people, Encouragement, love for dance, confidence, hard work, determination are a few of the many things which have been taught to me by them. Though I have started performing under their production, it is still a long way to go. To keep this art form alive, they dedicated their lives to it and became Gurus to many passionate students. Most of us might get deterred from taking up classical dance as a serious career-choice, thinking it to be elitist and outdated, but honestly, it is being revived as the art form of the masses.

 To achieve anything one should believe in whatever one does. Gurus play an indispensable role in carving out a perfectly chiselled statue from a lump of clay. They realise one’s ability to do things and through appropriate guidance and training turn an amateur into a professional capable of facing the world. Only those who nurture their competitive drive, rise above the stiff competition and excel.



I must be exceedingly fortunate to be pursuing my tryst with dance under the able guidance of Raja, Radha and Kaushalya Reddy.

1 comment: