Tuesday 21 January 2014

Pondicherry

I told everybody that I am going to spend my weekend in Pondicherry. Everybody responded in the same way. Chin raised and eyes shut. As soon as I entered south India I could feel the magic and mystical smell in the air. Those two days were not enough to get the feel of the city.  The white side of Pondicherry is the French colony and the bright side is tamilian. The cultural base of both the nations can be felt strongly. I discovered things which are hidden from normal eyes. I witnessed various spectrum of colors.

 Paradise beach and the rock beach, two magnificent beaches which were completely out of the world and peculiar. Travelling in a boat to reach an island made me feel that I am cut off from a busy life where people forget to perceive the beauty of nature around them. Never have I witnessed a beach as clean as paradise beach. Water went through our feet and came back again. The waves gave us a revolving effect. The sand under was so pure. People around us were so lively and they filled me with excitement. Happiness here happiness there. Where ever I looked the whole place was filled with happy people.

We walked along the roads of the French colony. The buildings were altogether built in the style of the golden era and they stand out even now. Lot of handmade stuff shops blew me off with surprise and I saw few impossible things which were beautifully made using paper.

Vinkayaka temple. At the entrance of the temple, the temple elephant with painted head and necklace of bells greeted us. After visiting the temple I dropped few coins into her trunk and she placed her trunk on my head in blessing. This was one of the most poignant moments of my life.

This was my experience in Pondicherry, even though I could not witness the entire city. Words are not enough to describe my journey into this complete unknown land which gave me a sense of warmth after my busy months in Delhi.


No comments:

Post a Comment