Thursday 5 December 2013

Education I say more...

Today while I was travelling in the Delhi metro, many unanswered questions cropped up in my mind.  I have been studying all through my life about respecting people especially elders, women and children.  But only lately have I realized the other side of the picture.

It was at the peak office time. Like all the others even I was tired and badly needed a seat. There were old people and children in the crowd waiting for the metro. It was an empty metro which stopped at the platform. Just within a fraction of a second people ran into the train to grab their seats without even caring about who they were pushing. At one glance I understood people not only compete for a seat in a good college but they even compete  in their everyday life by exerting pressure on others with even more motivation than in studies.


One can see such a crowd in a market place. But the people I witnessed today were highly educated and qualified. Is this what our education is teaching us? People are so blindfolded that this has become an everyday activity for them. An old man had to fight with a young energetic man for the seat reserved for senior citizens. This is how education is transforming the youth in India. On the other hand a daily labourer sacrificed his seat for a very young woman right in front of me. His legs were broken and muddy. He was in need of the seat much more than her.


All of us are tired but grabbing a seat by hurting others does not give us the contentment to relax. It’s just a matter of an hour travel.  Look around. Do not forget that there are people who follow you. Educated people are always admired and inspired. If we do not follow principles then what would we teach our next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment